How to Wear: A Printed Skirt

Kete Pa

Top: Marshalls//Skirt: Custom made (kete pa)// Necklace and Bracelet: Custom made//Bag: Louis Vuitton// Sandals: Justfab// Watch: Guess
I've talked about the meaning behind a few 'African print' fabrics (here and here). Here is another one for you and it's a good one. Like I've explained before, most of these prints convey meanings in their intricate designs and details. This print is called 'Kete Pa', which directly translates to 'a good bed'. Doesn't make much sense right? Allow me to enlighten you. Kete Pa is a symbol of a good marriage, and it's derived from the expression that 'a woman (or man) who has a good marriage is said to sleep on a good bed'. As such, it has been very popular for recently married couples or bride/grooms to be. In recent years, similar to other African prints, these are used as fashion and fashion purposes only. Befittingly, it comes in white and blue as well. I loved shopping for prints in Ghana and learning about all the meanings behind them. 
This print really is my favorite of all times. At the moment at least. I have a couple more pieces made from it, you'll see it soon I promise. For this outfit, I went for a very minimal brown pallet look. I paired this the skirt with a white shirt and pulled it together with a brown purse and sandals and added  large African white bead necklace. I wore this for a dinner and a relaxing evening with a live band with friends.
Photo credit: G.Paik

Laurene

No comments:

Post a Comment